Re: Tie rods for securing the plane to trailer.

Subject: Re: Tie rods for securing the plane to trailer.
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 23:18:21
>Nothing secures the plane to the trailer  ! (apart from the 4000 mile radius
>ball below).  The tailwheel is held, but the ramp which is secured by the tie
>rods only nominally constrains the mainwheel fore and aft.  The result is
>that the plane can bounce rightout of the ramp on a rough ride.

It will also wobble sideways and touch the wings. Results in inexplicable
scuff marks in odd places. They don't line up when things settle back down.
The bouncing is caused by the spring in the undercarriage and tire.

I use a nylon luggage strap over the fuselage just in front of the
windscreen and under the trailer cross bar. Two joined surf board straps
will do the job. All movement is prevented.