RE: TP5&6 Retention Tube?

Subject: RE: TP5&6 Retention Tube?
From: Steve Hagar <hagargs@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 19:11:39
John:

As a comment as to the success or failure of the method of the bushings it
is going to be a very hard call as I am probably years away from  actually
having to remove and install the tailplanes for trailering.  Though if look
at the actual setup of the tail planes you will see that if the units  are
built correctly these bushings and pins are not exposed to any torque. The
torque tube's associated pins do the work. The TP5&6 bushings and pins only
keep the tailplanes from being pulled out.  Installing a retention tube
impressed me as being a good deal of work. Adding small  amounts of extra
structure here and there over the course of three to four years may tend to
make your aircraft a "led sled". I tend to try to be real meticulous in
what I consider each  "little project" and will do it over or spend hours
fixturing something up so every thing is lined up "just right" or exactly
equal to the installation on the "other side". The guys with the planes in
service will have to fess up to the suitabilitiy of the stock installation.
How many instances have there  been about having to go  back in and  rework
this installation?

Steve Hagar
A143
Mesa, AZ

Chris
> Beck ? ) about making a fiberglass tube to contain TP5&6 in the
tailplanes.
> Since I am now in the midst of tailplane construction, could someone
please
> comment on the success/failure/necessity of this approach?
> Also, my perma-grit tools are starting to clog up. Is there a recommended
> cleaning method?
> Thanks in advance.
> John "blue foam everywhere" Kilian  A046

--- Steve Hagar
--- hagargs@earthlink.net