Flying: Prop

Subject: Flying: Prop
From: Henk Roelofs <henk@loginet.nl>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 15:26:11
After the swap with Thomas Scherer we can say that the wide
blade prop works very well on our 914.
We've set the pitch to 20 degrees and we have an average speed
of 125 kts on the GPS at 75% power.
Climb is arround 1100 feet/minute at 1300 lbs gross weight.
This performance is close to what it should be I think.
Thanks Thomas, we've read that the performance of your 912 is
much better after our swap.
Our cooling problems are virtually over after we opened up the
cooling duct at the front. First we removed arround 2cm from the
cooling duct (front-lower part) and later another 1cm after we came
to the conclusion that this improved not only the cooling but also
the looks of our Europa (personal opinion). Temperatures are now
87C CHT and 98C oiltemp @ 75% power and 15C OAT.
After just three landings our instructor felt confident that we would
handle our Europa well enough to do it without his guidance.
Bart had a little tailwheel experience and I had never flown a tail-
dragger before. It needs some "footwork" to keep straight, not too
difficult, didn't do any crosswind landings though.

Regards,
Henk & Bart
Europa #264; PH-BGV