Added Ply of Uni- at Rudder Hinges

Subject: Added Ply of Uni- at Rudder Hinges
From: Jim Graham <jlgraham@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 00:05:50
Europa Team,
At Oshkosh, I was given an authoritative piece of advice (but offered on
"deep background")... and I would like reaction of the group before I do
it.  Some rudders appear to eventually get hairline cracks through the
paint and filler at the rear edge of the rudder hinges.  The suggestion
was to add a small piece of uni- at each hinge (with the strong axis
along direction of flight), that approximately covers the space where
the hinge attach rivets are located (probably 2.5" x 5" for the biggest
hinge, etc.).  This would be intended to add strength which would tend
to prevent the flexing that apparently causes the cracks.  Could I get
reaction from anyone who has tried it or who otherwise has an opinion,
relative to the added thickness as a detriment, or as a benefit as
outlined above--or any other reason pro or con?

I have heard that some have had bad experiences with adding "just one
more" layer of glass on the rudder, having to do with the result being
too thick.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Jim Graham
A101

(I know I'm slow, but at least I'm started now)