Re: Added Ply of Uni- at Rudder Hinges

Subject: Re: Added Ply of Uni- at Rudder Hinges
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 23:07:35

>I have heard that some have had bad experiences with adding "just one
>more" layer of glass on the rudder, having to do with the result being
>too thick.

You should add "one more layer" to the sternpost flange also, then the
rudder will stay in line with the fin. The problem is the lack of stiffness
of the two flanges at the edges of the hinge flaps. In fact it doesn't
matter much if the flange is thick at these points as long as the hinge
pins remain more or less in the same position. The most effective
rectification is to use 2 or 3 layers of carbon, tapering to nothing at the
outer edge of the flange.

Graham