Re: Instant Weight and Balance

Subject: Re: Instant Weight and Balance
From: ChuckPops@aol.com
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 19:48:05
Hi Graham-

There are a good number of digital calipers with serial outputs.  Coming to
mind are the Fowler Ultra-cal series, with RS-232 serial outputs, --about $170
list.  They are available from MSC,  Tel. 800-645-7270.  I'm sure that they
must be also available across the pond.  Made in Japan, of course!  I have one
(no serial output), and it has been a superb instrument!  It wouldn't be too
difficult to link it to the monowheel swing arm.

Or, perhaps even better, a Mitutoyo Model 205-6201 Direct readout quill kit,
made to convert the quill of a vertical mill to digital readout.  Reads to the
nearest mil and costs $160.  It is made to attach to two points with up to 6
inches relative movement.  This has a SPC output for data output to computers
or an optional digital readout!!!  Available from Enco ( 800-873-3626) or most
likely other machine tool suppliers.

I do have concerns about the non-linearity of the urethane block-- temperature
effects and hysteresis.  It would be a more straightforward and a more linear
solution if the undercarriage used good old steel springs!

Just an idea!

Pops      A-36