RE: Instant Weight and Balance

Subject: RE: Instant Weight and Balance
From: andrew.robinson@barco.com
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 15:24:22

> So all we need is one sensor on the mainwheel.  Again the Europa
> provides us
> with an almost made-to-measure (sic) solution, the damper block.   A
> measurement of the change in spacing of the plates with load gives a
> proportional (or at least calibrateable)  reading of the load change.
>
> My question  to the Europa borg collective is therefore what is the
> most cost
> effective way  rugged way of measuring a distance of around half an
> inch (with
> over-run to allow us our bounces) ?   A linear pot. or capacitor comes
> to mind
> (whether rotational or physically linear) but I have a feeling there
> must be
> out there somewhere some neat devices with digital output which would
> save us
> the trouble of re-inventing strain gauges and their circuitry.

        The mono gear is sprung by the bungee cords, which should have a

        known spring constant. So couldn't you just calibrate a scale on

        the side of the monowheel? You know the weight of the pilot, so
        just before getting in, look underneath the airplane at the
scale.

        This wouldn't give an in-cockpit solution, but (if it works)
would
        be rugged, cheap, and simple (3 of my biggest design
drivers...).

        I could be wrong on this. If so, let me know.

        Andrew