Wing/Fuselage Abrasion Protection

Subject: Wing/Fuselage Abrasion Protection
From: gstout@us.ibm.com
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 10:52:47

Greetings and happy new year to all Europa builders.  One of the many final
details I'm involved in prior to first flight, is finding a way to seal the
gap between the wings and the fuselage.....and to prevent abrasion and
scratching of the paint.  I tried applying a bead of white silicone caulk
around the edge of the wing fairing, but it looked terrible and fell off a
couple of hours later.  I'm interested in finding out what others have done
in this area.  Any and all suggestions will be very much appreciated.

As a word of caution to future tri-gear builders, I have been struggling
for several weeks now, trying to get the brakes to work properly.  I am
using the Matco brand, Europa supplied, disc brakes on the wheels, and have
developed my own design of toe brakes on the rudder pedals, using Matco
brand master cylinders.  The left brake works "ok", but the right brake
simply doesn't apply enough pressure between the caliper/pad/rotor, to work
properly.  I'm aware of another tri gear builder who had the same
experience, and never really got it properly sorted out.  It just might be
that the Matco brand brakes are not adequate for the Europa.  Buyer beware!

Regards,
Garry
(813) 878-3929, TieLine 427-3929
FAX (813) 878-7976, Internet ID Gstout@us.ibm.com