Re: Compass

Subject: Re: Compass
From: Alan Stewart <alans@kbss.bt.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 08:24:30

> else talking about the same thing about nine months ago. Alan, was it you?

It might have been !!

I have a Hamilton Remote sensing compass, obtained at great expense (550+)
---From RD. It works fine, doesn't gyrate, but occassionaly sticks in the
turn 'til you level out. Whether it's 500 pounds better than the backup
mechanical one glued in at the top of the cockpit is a matter of debate.

Regarding accuracy, I reckon its better than +-2 degrees in all directions
which in my experience is good enough.

As far as interference is concerned it appears to be immune to spinner
sourced vibration which occasionally upsets the mechanical one. (Ever been in
an endless anticlockwise spin !)

With the advent of GPS and moving map showing ground track, and maintaining
constant visual reference, map to ground, I find I use my compass less and
less.

alan