Winter whiles

Subject: Winter whiles
From: Gramin <Gramin@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 07:46:47
Havoing completed the  (well,  "a") tailmod and tired of polishing in a cold
garage  I fell back on reading - the XS sounds good, so how about trying to
emulate some of its features in the standard model. Can't do anything about
those lighter wings or increased MTOW (1370) which seems to make room for that
long range tank load.
But having carried a 5 (uk) gal. spare tank about all summer in the passenger
seat (when not occupied !), perhaps making a rig and siphon to fit it in the
back would be a good project ?

So out with the c.o.g program and the tape mesure.  Ah, pity, can't stuff it
snugly into the D, cog goes too far back, but try above  the baggage.  Yes !,
can then use all 5  gal,  two 13 1/2 st. crew, but sadly only blue foam for
baggage.

How does the XS do it ?  Declared payload and fuel is 512 lb.(Jan. Flyer, p23)
Subtracting the same two crew weights leaves 134 lb.   Eh ? that's only 18.6
gal, 2.6 gal. more than the main, so the 9 gal.long range tank is over 2/3rds
empty  and the larger baggage area still stays unloaded.  So take courage
chaps, our "standards" ain't so bad, in fact they're better if your APS is
less than 788 lb.,you're not in a great hurry and are mean about fuel.

Graham C  G-EMIN