Flying: Fuel Exhaustion/912

Subject: Flying: Fuel Exhaustion/912
From: Alan Stewart <alans@kbss.bt.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 10:49:47

Important questions I'd like to ask.

Does anyone know from practical experience (before I try it for real !)

1/ If the main fuel tank is completely exhausted in flight, will the engine
(Rotax 912) actually stop before you can select reserve ?

2/ Will the pilot get any significant warning of this shortly before it
happens ?

3/ If the answer to Q1 is Yes, is it possible to restart the engine using the
starter, before significant height is lost ?

If this has happened to anyone, or it's been tested, I'd really like to know
what happened. I'm sure Andy, at the factory told me it was possible to
restart, but considering the surprising inaccuracy of my fuel senders, I
feel I really need to know the consequencies.

I never plan to run out of fuel, but if the engine will not restart in flight,
I might as well consider reserve only as a 'swap over when in doubt!' supply.
ie. Always plan to leave a couple of gallons in main.

Any thoughts ?
Could it damage the engine ?

alan