use of peel ply

Subject: use of peel ply
From: SLAMHILL@aol.com
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 11:41:35
Wonder if you experienced builders can lend a bit of advice to a confused and
just about to start building first-timer?

I have the tail kit in hand and plan to start next week but am still
pondering the use of peel ply on large surfaces.  I just completed the
Alexander Sportair composite workshop in Chino Calif this month.  In that
venue, we were told that use of peel ply on large surfaces carried
advantages:

--results in a stronger structure since peel ply "soaks" up excess epoxy (and
the less epoxy there is (to a limit--course instructor advised ratio of epoxy
to weight of cloth at 50:50) the stronger the layup;

--the resulting surface after removal of peel ply is considerably smoother
requiring much less sanding prior to final finishing

Other course info was that the Beech Starship people obtain a  strong
structure where ratio of epoxy is only 36% of total fiberglass/ratio weight,
but the best we could hope for was 50:50 under home building conditions
without large ovens for curing and vacuum bagging.

I note that Aircraft Spruce says "NO" to peel ply use over large surfaces;
the Europa Club's own Hints and Tips Compilation says "NO" and
Europa/Lakeland Florida's advice was largely "NO." (actually the rejoinder
was "THAT DEPENDS--on the experience of the builder, so that one does not end
up with too dry a surface."

At this moment the NO's seem to have it, unless some other wisdom might
prevail. I put this to the group because the Alexander workshop advice was so
strong and strident---"just don't do anything without peel ply!"

Thanks in advance for your help from ab initio builder Barry Hill, A86.