Tailwheel

Subject: Tailwheel
From: Jim Naylor <jnaylor@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 11:39:15
In a message dated 97-11-29 12:01:02 , John Moran wrote:

>It is a bit awkward to describe without a drawing, but perhaps you can follow
>the description below and make a drawing from it.

>The idler plate is 3" long by 4.5" wide by 0.19 thick steel. It has a collar
>around the tailwheel shaft to allow the idler plate free rotation. The aft
>edge is a duplicate of the original tailwheel arm so the rudder limits are
>imposed by the original tailwheel stops....

An interesting design John which could improve things without to much work
and be
a worthwile compromise,but retaining the existing tailweel misses out on
a major benefit of the new tailwheel,- the increase of wheel base, which gives
better directional stability on roll out, and reduces the bucking effect when
taxing especially on grass. This gives the effect of a softer suspension.

Also the reduced deck angle, which I feel will not only improve forward vision
and make take off easier, but help with the landing by reducing the angle of
attack when touching down. Thus reducing the desire to go flying again just at
the point when you thought it was going to quit.
Although the deck angle could be altered by other methods and incorporated along
with your design.
It would be interesting to compare the two side by side, and determine which, if
either gave the greatest improvement. I look forward to your test report.