Re: Europa_Mail:Alodine or anodising ?

Subject: Re: Europa_Mail:Alodine or anodising ?
From: Tony Krzyzewski <tonyk@kaon.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 09:16:30

> Is there someone who can help me with this dilemma ?
> which anti-corrosion system in the best for an Europa ?
>  -Alodine(Henkel) plus zinc cromate and an epoxy finition
>  - or simply anodising ?

Anodise the parts if you can find somewhere that will do it to the
correct standard (see the builders manual), failing that Alodine and
System Three Anti Corrosion Primer is the way to go. Zinc Chromate is not good
for
your health and in many countries cannot be sold to unregistered
maintenance engineers as it is a known carcinogenic.

The System Three Anti Corrosion Primer is water reduceable, low
volitility (which it allows it to be sent by air post), and sticks
like you wouldn't believe to alodined surfaces.

If you do alodine you will also need some Deoxydine to etch the
aluminium beofre applying the alodine.

There are no companies in New Zealand providing the correct anodising
service so (unless you happen to work for a certain large airline) we
builders have to use alodine.

Once you have got used to it then applying alodine is not too
difficult. The key points are that you should scrub the parts with a
scotchbrite pad under running water until it is grease free. Etch
them for a few minutes in Deoxydine and then take them for a bath in
Alodine. As recommended by Henkel, you should then use another clean
batch of Alodine to finish the treatment off. When you pull the piece
---From the second bath it will have a nice golden tan. Rinse it off and
let it dry.

Remember to dispose of your used Deoxydine and Alodine in a safe way.
They are both strong acids and do cause environmental damage.

Tony