Re: OR5

Subject: Re: OR5
From: europa aviation ltd <enquiries@europaaviation.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 13:33:22
At 02:04 AM 2/6/97, you wrote:
>I was messing around with setting the UC lever range, getting the
>flaps & outriggers to do their thing Etc. the other day and wondered
>if others have noticed a problem we seem to have with the slot in
>OR5.
>
>In the normal course of events:
>
>Flap up, the pin which runs in the slot in OR5 is at one extreme of
>the slot and this location sets the up position of the outrigger.
>
>Flap moving down, the pin rides up the slot a bit until the spring
>overcomes the latch, it then returns until the outrigger is fully
>down when it rides up the slot a bit to give the flap free
>movement.
>
>However.  if the latch sticks a bit, or the outrigger is a bit
>stiff (gets bashed or something) or if the spring should break, then
>the pin should simply ride to the far extreme of the slot and then
>pull the latch and it all returns to normal. The problem is that we
>get to 27 deg flap just before (c. 2mm) the pin gets to the end of
>the slot, and thus in this case it won't lock down - the slot is a
>bit too long. It would seem that what could apparently be a fairly
>failsafe arrangement will not work in our case.
>
>Have others noticed this or is it just us?  It can be tweaked by
>making new OR5's with a slightly shorter slot.
>
>Regards;
>
>Richard Meredith-Hardy

>Your problem with the outrigger would indicate that either you have
unacceptably high friction loads in the mechanism to cause the spring OR12
to extend at all before the outrigger leg has latched down, or that you are
maybe operating the mechanism with the wing leading edge down or even with
the wing upside down.

Not much more than gravity, even with the airloads experienced at approach
speeds, should be sufficient to allow the outrigger leg to ewxtend and latch.

Regards

Andy Draper
Web Site at www.europa-aviation.co.uk
     Fax No 44 1751 431706