OR5

Subject: OR5
From: Richard Meredith-Hardy <rmh@flymicro.winuk.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 02:04:16
I was messing around with setting the UC lever range, getting the
flaps & outriggers to do their thing Etc. the other day and wondered
if others have noticed a problem we seem to have with the slot in
OR5.

In the normal course of events:

Flap up, the pin which runs in the slot in OR5 is at one extreme of
the slot and this location sets the up position of the outrigger.

Flap moving down, the pin rides up the slot a bit until the spring
overcomes the latch, it then returns until the outrigger is fully
down when it rides up the slot a bit to give the flap free
movement.

However.  if the latch sticks a bit, or the outrigger is a bit
stiff (gets bashed or something) or if the spring should break, then
the pin should simply ride to the far extreme of the slot and then
pull the latch and it all returns to normal. The problem is that we
get to 27 deg flap just before (c. 2mm) the pin gets to the end of
the slot, and thus in this case it won't lock down - the slot is a
bit too long. It would seem that what could apparently be a fairly
failsafe arrangement will not work in our case.

Have others noticed this or is it just us?  It can be tweaked by
making new OR5's with a slightly shorter slot.

Regards;

Richard Meredith-Hardy
rmh@flymicro.win-uk.net  Tel: 01462 834776 FAX: 01462 732668
BMAA Foot Launched Microlights Office.