Re: Mod 37 undercarriage

Subject: Re: Mod 37 undercarriage
From: Graham Clarke <gemin@cix.compulink.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 04:38:53
<< welding in situ >>

I have heard that a CAA welder has condemned this, due to thermal stress
building up if one side is watercooled while the other is at welding
temperature . This would become locked in as annealing is not possible.
- the result might look ok but might fail unexpectedly.
If this is confirmed we really will all have to take them out, engine
fitted or not (:-((.

<<Can't all the experts out there  come up with something.>>

The factory have to carry the can, and have all the parts and experience
to do this but have to balance the expense against utility. One can
understand Ivan's plea about pulling together as it wouldn't help to
bankrupt them. If a non-welding system were devised e.g. as Dino's
suggestions, apart from cost, it would raise the test issue again. This
is beyond the capability of the normal builder. Then have the issue of
approval. I still have no answer from the PFA about this. The test issue
is beginning to multiply as the conditions are not the same for those
aircraft with the optional damper mod. installed, or without the plastic
stops.  Perhaps we should all move to Germany !
But seriously, I hope the factory will be able to offer a proven
non-welding/non-frame-removing solution. I would certainly be prepared to
wait the winter out if I knew it was being considered. Perhaps the
Shoreham forum will shed some light.

Graham C.