Re: Mod 37 undercarriage

Subject: Re: Mod 37 undercarriage
From: CPattinson@aol.com
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 04:16:46
Im pleased someone at last is taking the problem seriously.

When I rang the factory, I received a similar response to David Barraclough,
that this mod was no problem. My arguments and concerns appeared to fall on
deaf ears as Europa are convinced that "welding in situ" is perfectly safe
and OK !    Sorry, guys, I still dont agree with you on this one.

I think Davids approach to the problem seems to be perfectly logical. Lets
have a welder (ie- the factory man) who knows exactly what he is doing fixing
all our U/C frames. As far as i,m concerned cost (to us builders) is not at
issue. I would happily pay for Ivans man to do the work so that I knew it was
done properly.
It concerns me that if we employ unknown welders (however well qualified) and
something goes wrong, who then is held liable for the cost of correcting the
problems.
If the frame subsequently collapses and results in damage to the plane, WILL
THE INSURERS PAY OUT ?

I regret to say I am still not convinced that this remedy is the right one.
My undercarriage frame is very securely fixed in and wont come out without
causing a lot of damage so I'm stuck with doing it in situ, that is if I can
find a welder !
I hear rumours of a CAA welder who looked at the job and refused to touch it
!

Sadly its all very unsatisfactory. I suggested a perfectly acceptable
weldless fix (a version of the U bolts) to the factory, but they simply
werent interested. I am really beginning to wonder if I should not take this
mattter up directly with the PFA and see whether they would accept my
suggestion for a mod. Trouble is, I dont have the facility to drop test my
fuselage which no doubt they would require. Not sure I'd want to try it
anyway.

BTW, still no testimonials from people who have done this welding job and
survived. Now thats a bit worrying dont you think.

If you've done it please, lets hear from you. The rest of us need
reassurance.

Carl (also paranoid) Pattinson
G- LABS (if I can get this ruddy frame fixed)