Europa-List: Re: MT04 Engine Mounts

Subject: Europa-List: Re: MT04 Engine Mounts
From: Kelvin Weston <kelv@kdweston.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 03:31:48

Hi Brian

My Europa is not flying yet and as the original mounts supplied with the kit
were
12+ years old, I decided it would be prudent to replace with new items when
I fitted the engine.
A set was purchased from Karen at Europa back in late 2018 and fitted with the
engine in 2022.  In the short space of time since installation (14 months) the
engine has pitched down several degrees with very slight but visible uneven
compression
of the engine mount rubbers, fore & aft (pics attached).  A similar
situation (albeit reversed) exists on the lower mounts.
This is further evident by the spinner being displaced from its original
position
against the cowling.

I checked the spacer length which was correct at 45mm so I was then concerned
that
the rubber was too soft.  I know from the forum that there had been similar
problems in the past.

Hence the recent purchase of another set of MT04s from Europa, only to find they
had been poorly manufactured.  Incidentally, Europa has assured me that my 2018
replacements were not from the defective soft batch and that the 2018 items
and the recently supplied mounts were both well within the hardness tolerance.

I am sure the engine will have a tendency to settle on any new mounts fitted and
I would be interested to know from other owners if the settling and differential
compression in the picture is normal.
If so, I may just re-shim with washers and move on.

I am also almost tempted to fit my original, unused (now 15 years old) mounts
that
have been stored in a plastic bag, out of sunlight, heat and oil, etc that
look perfect, feel slightly harder and are perfectly concentric !!!

I am waiting a response from Tom at Europa and the LAA, but if I do fit the
latest
items, my original plan (as Chris has stated above) was to orientate the mounts
with the thicker offset of each mount pointing out towards each corner of
the engine frame.  I believe this will even out any possible misalignment at
the rear of the engine, I can then re-shim the washers to get the angles and
spinner correct,
However, my concern is getting the raised ring to locate correctly in the engine
frame.

--------
Regards

Kelv Weston