Europa-List: Re: Europa Club Membership location map trial

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Europa Club Membership location map trial
From: Hitchflight <bobhitchcock@icloud.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 00:48:45

Hi Pete Z.

In May 2018 the privacy GDPR laws changed in the UK & EU. The laws are very
different
in Canada and the USA. This side of the pond there is the threat of fines
or other sanctions for publishing a Members contact details without permission.

Consequently we are obliged to proceed cautiously and with consent. The Europa
Committee will likely review and decide at the next Committee meeting.

Thanks for the feedback

Regards

Bob

peterz@zutrasoft.com wrote:
> Sadly here in Canada, all that is needed by those blackhats is to log into our
government registry and do a quick search, by engine even LOL

> PeteZ
>

> On Thu, Feb 16, 2023 at 10:17 AM Rowland Carson  wrote:
>

> > On 2023-02-16, at 08:41, Hitchflight  wrote:
> >
> > > https://www.theeuropaclub.org/news/member-location-map-trial
> > > (https://www.theeuropaclub.org/news/member-location-map-trial)
> > >

> > Bob - I hope that many members will support this - it looks a good idea.
> >

> > Am I correct in thinking that the intention is to show home addresses, NOT
aircraft bases? With so many Rotax engines being stolen, I would not want to
have
pointers published that thieves could use to locate potential targets. Yes,
I know the map will be members-only, but the black hats may well have the tools
to circumvent website security as well as the ones used to liberate engines!

> > Ive recently been doing something similar with online maps using the Leaflet
templates, which I found really easy to use - see:

> > http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk/wed_walks/pubs_map.php
> > (http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk/wed_walks/pubs_map.php)
> >

> > in friendship
> >

> > Rowland
> >

> >  | Rowland Carson     ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...
> > |       http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk (http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk)
> > | Skype, Twitter: rowland_carson   Facebook: Rowland Carson

Read this topic online here: