Europa-List: Re: Europa Club Membership location map trial

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Europa Club Membership location map trial
From: Hitchflight <bobhitchcock@icloud.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 00:36:47

Hi Rowland

The suggestion is to create a map with the approximate position of the Members
home. This is achieved by using a truncated version of the Members postal code.
This map to only be available to Members using the password privileges.

In the settings page both new and existing Members can define if they are happy
to release personal detail in the Membership settings options:

https://www.theeuropaclub.org/members/

Currently 23% of the Europa Club Membership have positively selected that they
do not want any personal information disclosed (including by default map
information).
The Club will respect the Members wishes. So the map would show 77% of
locations if active today.

In respect of thefts from airfields the Europa Club is acutely aware of the
sensitivity
of the subject. The Europa Club has no intention to publish at this time.

Poignant, my home airfield was targeted Christmas 2020. The theft of engines,
including
mine, was traumatic! Installation of high tech, high cost security security
equipment and processes followed.

Regards

Bob

Rowland_Carson wrote:
> On 2023-02-16, at 08:41, Hitchflight  wrote:
> > https://www.theeuropaclub.org/news/member-location-map-trial
> > (https://www.theeuropaclub.org/news/member-location-map-trial)
>

> Bob - I hope that many members will support this - it looks a good idea.
>
> Am I correct in thinking that the intention is to show home addresses, NOT
> aircraft
bases? With so many Rotax engines being stolen, I would not want to have
pointers published that thieves could use to locate potential targets. Yes,
I know the map will be members-only, but the black hats may well have the tools
to circumvent website security as well as the ones used to liberate engines!

> Ive recently been doing something similar with online maps using the Leaflet
templates, which I found really easy to use - see:

> http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk/wed_walks/pubs_map.php
> (http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk/wed_walks/pubs_map.php)
>
> in friendship
>
> Rowland
>

>  | Rowland Carson          ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...|
> http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk (http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk)| Skype,
> Twitter: rowland_carson      Facebook: Rowland Carson

Read this topic online here: