Re: Europa-List: Re: What did you do with your Europa this week - 22/12/

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: What did you do with your Europa this week - 22/12/22
From: Pete Zut <peterz@zutrasoft.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2022 11:29:04
fwiw,  I have also gone to the EarthX  - which spins up the small classic
starter on the 912S like a champ - crazy high rpm, and I feed that with the
BandC regulator. The ignitions were the best upgrade on my 912S (and also
most cost effective) - Ignitec's remote mounted, with ATDC set for start.
Smooth as silk.
https://www.ignitech.cz/en/vyrobky/bikes/rotax/rotax%20912%20and%20914/rota
x%20912%20and%20914.htm

It's still my position that the high compression reverse torque pulses of
the S are the bane of gearbox longevity, with resonance-prone heavy WD
props as instrumented and demonstrated on my airframe at least.   :-)

Cheers,
PeteZ

On Wed, Dec 28, 2022 at 11:16 AM Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com> wrote:

> [...]
> overhaul and gearbox rebuild.  It still looks like a new engine inside
> and meets specifications.  4 valves were impacted, and I insisted they be
> changed and all of them lapped and the compressions are like new.  But it
> cost about $3300 to have the cylinders pulled, heads and valves cleaned u
> and the gearbox rebuilt.   Not bad when compared to a Lycoming at 500
> hours.  But before that I spent another $3000 over the first 10 years on
> the high torque starter, new TCU, and Carbs.  All well worth it.
>

> As Walter Hudson (an old AI in our area (award winning builder also))
> always said "You know what keeps an airplane airborne?  MONEY!"
>

> If you do all the recommended and advisory stuff, like the improved
> ignition, high torque starter, proper carb balance and service and proper
> fuel, it keeps the engine running well.  Your opinion is it was the prop,
> but I believe it may have been the combination of updates and repairs to
> the engine that did most of it.  Change one thing at a time and then
> evaluate is normal in testing but if the engine, dogs, gearbox, ignition,
> and carb tune are all done at once as well as a prop change, who knows fo
> sure.   A rough running engine will damage itself and its systems.  My
> old timers always prefer a light wood prop as it was always smoother as t
he
> wood absorbs vibration.  Metal and carbon don't dampen the vibration as
> well.  Hence a static and dynamic balance is necessary with these hard
> props.  If the engine is still harsh, it most likely is internal issues.
>

> I've never had an issue in 20 years with prop masses below 6000kg/cm on
> any Rotax.  I have had and seen Rotax 912S issues due to all the issues
> mentioned above.  Once those issues were fixed, I put the original prop
> back on and behold, the engine ran smoothly.  Maybe I was just lucky all
> these years.
>

> Never over look a bad prop blade.  Many folks have brought prop vibration
> issues to my attention.  I=99ve found blade fatigue, unmatched blad
es,
> pitch slippage on ground adjustable props, and many that were not
> statically balanced.  A prop that is not statically balanced will not
> dynamically balance.  I show folks on my website what I do to statically
> balance an Airmaster Warp Drive, Sensenich etc. before I mount it.  One
> blade off by a =C2=BC of a degree on a three blade prop puts a lot of
> vibrations at your prop flange as the prop is roughly said =9Ccorks
crewing=9D
> itself through the air.  This is frustrating for many owners so they
> change props and frankly they should.
>

> I'm glad you are now seeing a light at the end of the tunnel on your
> engine/prop.  I know my original 914 had me scratching my head also, but
> now I know what I need to do on *my* engine.  I added a light weight prop
> to test and frankly I have no difference in engine behavior on the 914.
It

y@msn.com

> [...]
its and
> the Rotax 9 series with any reputable prop will perform properly.  If an
> engine manufacturer has no performance limitations, stay away from that
> engine as testing is incomplete.
>

> > There are no issues with flying the Airmaster, Whirlwind, MT, Hoffman,
> Woodcomp (properly maintained), on the Rotax 9 series engines.  Fixed
> pitch props made by reputable companies (the non flexible kind) have no
> issues either (fixed pitch Warp Drive, Whirlwind, Sensenich, Woodcomp hav
> no issues, but Kiev and some other thin flexible props are potentially a
> longevity problem.)  Unlike the long stroke, over bored Lycoming
> 0-360/390 these engines have bore, stroke, and compression issues which d
> in fact cause unfavorable harmonics so some combinations of particular
> props and engine dash numbers to have restricted operation envelopes.   T
he
> Rotax does not.  Rotax does have recommended RPM/MP settings for various
> power settings and charts giving adequate information on operating
> envelopes.
>

> > Long answer for those bored or snowbound:
>

> > As for Rotax operational limits:
>

> > Most Europa Owners fly with the Airmaster Constant Speed propeller on
> the 914 and frankly from 4000 to 5800 RPM there are no issues from 20-40
> inches of manifold pressure at a constant airspeed.  In other words,
> there are no engine/gearbox/prop harmonic problems which will occur but
> you can lug the engine down and cause issues.  Go back in the archives
> and look at our conversations on engine vibration.  If you have
> vibration, follow those techniques to repair your prop balance, suspensio
> or carb issues.  I have found that the properly carb balanced Rotax
> engine with a properly static balanced prop and then a proper dynamic
> balance is all we need to have a smooth running Rotax.  Many get by with
> a simple static balance but a dynamic balance is always a good idea.
>

> > In flight using a portable dynamic balancer (such as a Dynavibe) has
> been used in flight and found to be a better balance as the Europa bounce
> around quite a bit on a ground run making the dynamic balance results
> rather chaotic.  Many times, I have had to limit the RPM in the ground
> dynamic balance to 4000 RPM to make it flyable.
>

> > Back to power and RPM settings.
>

> >> From your Rotax Operators Manual:
>
> > For the 914:
>

> > For the 912S:
>

> > My Notes:
>
> > Who flies at only those power settings.  Most of us, but not always.
>
> > You can fly a Rotax 9 series at any power setting and RPM up to 5500
> (remember the 5 minute limit above 5500) at virtually any throttle/MP
> setting but listen to the engine for clues on how you are operating.
>

> > Downwind airspeed is 4000 RPM and 20-24 inches depending on aircraft
> weight trigear or mono.
>
> > Trigear is higher than a clean mono.  That is about 25-30 Horsepower.
Note
> [...]
> operations charts as you are lugging the engine, in other words the prop
is
> demanding more power due to excessive pitch for the manifold pressure
> (throttle setting) you have set.
>

> > First:  Pull your headphones off or turn off the ANR and listen to the
> engine and prop.  Pete and Area 51 and many others know what I mean.  Fra
nkly
> everyone should listen to their airplane, it will talk to you.  If you
> descend rapidly with no regard to the sound of the engine you are doing i
> wrong.  At 140-160 KTS with about =C2=BD throttle, even with a constant s
peed
> prop, the prop is being turned by the airspeed windmilling the prop (RPM
> increases as speed increases and decreases as speed is reduced is your
> visual clue) and once you begin to slow down, you will hit an area where
> the forward speed puts the prop at zero thrust, where the prop can
=99t decide
> whether it is windmilling or pulling.  A vibration or clatter is heard or
> felt.  The noise of the prop changes also.  Get out of that range by
> pulling off more throttle or adding power and pulling the nose up to slow
> down.  This action of pulling off the power more to force the prop out of
> the windmilling speed, or reduci!
>
> ng!
>
> >  the speed and keeping the power up enough to keep the prop pulling is
> common to most aircraft, even direct drive engine such as the Lycoming.
>

> > It isn=99t that hard, but it does require listening and understan
ding that
> there is slop in the gears (which you should note on every preflight) hen
ce
> it is intuitively obvious to the most casual of observers that there will
> be areas where if I am flying at a particular airspeed and note that the
> airspeed is driving the engine RPM more than the throttle, the gearbox wi
ll
> rattle once the two power/airspeeds become equal, therefore one should
> think ahead.  Once you slow down, you need to pull the power or that 50%
> throttle you have in there will go through a speed where the unloaded pro
> will almost go to a loaded prop (i.e. the engine will be driving the prop
> rather than the wind or equal to it).  LEARN FROM IT.
>

> > When I and many other salesmen fly with customers, we are in tune to th
> demonstrator aircraft/engine/and prop, and we move the throttle as soon a
> we hear the prop start to windmill.  Yes, you can hear it.  That way the
> potential customer never feels this.  We=99re not lying or sprinkli
ng fair
> dust on the issue, we just understand and avoid the clack.  Once the
> buyer closes the deal, we demonstrate that area.
>

> > Second:  Regarding Heavy Props.
>
> > There are no REPUTABLE prop manufacturers that recommend props that DO
> NOT meet the rotational inertia requirements of the engine manufacturer.
 There
> [...]
> gear with the pedal to the floor without downshifting the gearbox.  My
> favorite is pulling a trailer where at full throttle in 4th gear it is
> causing the engine and car to vibrate, knock, and rattle as it is trying
> pull the load and accelerate.
>

> > If you fly routinely at RPMs (prop pitch settings) with manifold
> pressures that are higher than the prop curve (recommended settings) you
> are potentially lugging the Rotax engine.  The throttle plate is open
> trying to hold the RPM, the engine is running richer trying to produce th
> power needed and your plugs are fowling.  Worse, is the engine may begin
> detonating (aka ping) due to the fixed ignition, low fuel octane rating o
> similar issue.
>

> > This lugging can be heard in the aircraft also.  The prop at a higher
> pitch than optimum for the airspeed is stalling part of the prop.  You
> can hear it thrashing, the engine begins to sound different.  Rather than
> normal, like a sewing machine, it is making a deeper hum and some minor
> vibration can be felt in the calf muscles of the legs.  Note that the
> carbureted engines which have fixed timing, detonation is a possibility i
> operating with low octane fuel in these conditions.  As an example, I
> have to do this particular exercise in prop testing to check go around
> capability in high-speed aircraft (Europa, Fascination and similar) where
> simulate a prop stuck in full coarse pitch and the pilot must execute a g
> around.  The Rotax 9 Series will do this 4000 RPM full throttle drill
> using 100LL fuel, but it sounds like the description above.  Does the
> engine take it, YES, does it like it, NO.
>

> > Bottom line, the Europa has a wide speed range so we can fly in areas
> where the prop may be driven rather than the engine driving the prop.  Th
is
> can cause the gearbox to rattle.  Those who have too much prop pitch for
> the power setting (constant speed commanding lower RPM than the prop powe
> curve in the manual) the engine is potentially lugging and you are
> wasting gas and running inefficiently at a minimum.
>

> > As a pilot and student of aviation learn your Manifold/RPM settings
> until you get experience.
>
> > In the 912 or 912S equipped with a fixed pitch prop, set the prop pitch
> to achieve 5200 static at full throttle.  Go fly with reckless abandon
> without over speeding the engine in a dive.  Note in a dive to pull the
> throttle or slow down to keep the gearbox from rattling or over speeding.
>

> > I do not recommend setting a fixed pitch prop to below 5000 RPM at full
> throttle static any longer.  Those using lower octane auto fuel may find
> the engine begins to detonate in some conditions.  (Note:  for sales
> testing our cruise numbers were done at 4000 static and full throttle to
> get the top speed and 10,000 foot cruise speed numbers up.  Not a good
> rule with auto fuel, but we didn=99t notice detonation using 100LL.
)  5200
> at full static power precludes these detonation issues, especially with
> MOGAS.
>

> > With a Constant Speed prop and a 912 or 912S Set Climb RPM (5500) nearl
> any throttle setting will do.
>
> > Cruise at 5000 and above sea level just about any throttle setting won
=99t
> lug the engine.
>
> > Personally, =9CTakeoff=9D setting and full throttle for tak
eoff, then once
> safely airborne, simply click or set 5500 for climb at full throttle, cli
mb
> to altitude and click or set 5000 at full throttle and you will be fine
> as I=99ve never seen a manifold pressure on the 912 series go above
 26 inches
> in a Europa at full throttle above sea level.  It is as close to a FADEC
> as one can get.  Just slap the throttle up to full and click for the
> phase of flight.
>

> > The 914 power settings are not as simple but easy to remember.
>
> > These numbers are for efficiency and are not limitations:
>
> > Takeoff prop setting and full throttle  (5700 RPM / 38-40=9DMP) u
ntil
> safely airborne.
>
> > Climb:  Click or set 5500/34-35=9D  (a 100% stop is really nice t
o have)

> > Cruise Normal click or cruise at 5000/31=9D,  for better milage
> 4800/28-29=9D is nice and comfortable and gas milage is about 30 MP
G.

> > Loiter with the prop at 4300-4500 / 22-28=9DMP.  You will be airb
orne
> forever.  But going slow.
>
> > Downwind to landing, set prop to Climb or Takeoff, the prop will be
> stopped at the fine pitch limit, and normally you will be 4000 RPM / 20-2
2=9D
> or so at 1000 MSL.
>
> > No issues will occur at these settings and the engine runs superbly.  S
etting
> Manifold Pressures below the prop curve is not an issue in operating the
> 912 or 914 series.
>

> > Anytime you have a constant speed prop on a Rotax, set the fine pitch
> stop to limit full power max RPM to about 5650 RPM to prevent an overspee
> due to rapid throttle advancement in an emergency go around.  Set the
> coarse limit stop to about 4000 for the Europa static on the ground at fu
ll
> power.  If you have a 914 please install a 100% stop as you will reduce
> the potential for overspeed or lugging on a go around or touch and goes.
 Should
> you have a prop stuck at the coarse stop (4000 or so) the climb out at 10
0%
> or 115% is quite comfortable with no issues for short term operations.  T
he
> engine operates fine up to the 100% stop limit in the 914 and even the 91
2S
> but you can tell it is lugging from the sound and vibration.
>

> > I prefer to have my clients keep their head in the books, know the
> recommended pitch and power settings for flight and the RPM/MP limits of
> the 914/912S.  Running cheap gas and excessive pitch can cause
> detonation, avoid it.  Keeping the plane light and simple increases speed
> and reduces wear and tear.
>

> > As far as changing the gearbox design, getting more power or speed by
> adding components and then doing reliability testing is fine, but my
> comment is changing the gearbox/fuel system/ignition may fix one thing
> but it will affect many others (like weight size and complexity).  Not
> worth my time.  For me, if the engine isn=99t broke, don=99t
fix it.  But
> performance increases is an interesting topic over a beer or two.
>

> > Have a happy and productive new year to all.
>
> > Bud Yerly
>

> > Read this topic online here:
>

> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.
matronics.com%2Fviewtopic.php%3Fp%3D509824%23509824&data=05%7C01%7C%7C5b3
0b3772a574dfc019408dae8843e8a%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C
638077951951512829%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2lu
MzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=2r5Z0IISBkOLnUzu
QjWU2KwvlS9fvBsRxz5NHHayULU%3D&reserved=0

> > Attachments:
>

> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.
matronics.com%2F%2Ffiles%2Fengine_prop_harmonic_range_177.pdf&data=05%7C0
1%7C%7C5b30b3772a574dfc019408dae8843e8a%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%
7C1%7C0%7C638077951951512829%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLC
JQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=SSIEnd
QaW1HD0sdSrfirHpnnjX5SfWaV2ZLn4LtsJrg%3D&reserved=0

===========

> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mat
ronics.com%2FNavigator%3FEuropa-List&data=05%7C01%7C%7C5b30b3772a574dfc01
9408dae8843e8a%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C638077951951512
829%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1
haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata-MdWFipHwYF5nYsbQiBilRBeWKq0mZ
rg6a86Q0okuI%3D&reserved=0

===========

> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.
matronics.com%2F&data=05%7C01%7C%7C5b30b3772a574dfc019408dae8843e8a%7C84d
f9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C638077951951512829%7CUnknown%7CTWFp
bGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%
7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=hz3IXdA6vG60iLKwbI4z9xoKqQyMYNwfkFQqnWV8dZ4%3D&rese
rved=0

===========

> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwiki.ma
tronics.com%2F&data=05%7C01%7C%7C5b30b3772a574dfc019408dae8843e8a%7C84df9
e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C638077951951512829%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbG
Zsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C
3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=7I2i%2BMv0j7nA7JP%2F2b4gw6mdlZJK67RpFuD4xv2P7YM%3D&re
served=0

> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmatron
ics.com%2Fcontribution&data=05%7C01%7C%7C5b30b3772a574dfc019408dae8843e8a
%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C638077951951512829%7CUnknown%
7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6M
n0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=DG%2F%2F%2F2ryFZvITfspYeJMattf1UMEQDu0ym9LAJk
F8rg%3D&reserved=0