Re: Europa-List: OVP

Subject: Re: Europa-List: OVP
From: Bob Harrison <ptag.dev@talktalk.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 09:44:52
I hear what you say but the nature of spade connectors utilise a knife (mal
e) connector into a female receptor and they can spark.....I've seen them a
rcing .....put your head in the sand and ignore it at your peril.  The reas
on I had three examples of molten connector assembly speaks volumes, not wi
thstanding the original "posting on subject" reported the same issue.   In
test conditions the connectors may be adequately rated but subject them to
vibration and that rating is obviously open to question, in other words "th
ey are shit".

regards.

Bob Harrison  ex G-PTAG.

regards

Bob Harrison

> On 19 December 2022 at 08:04 Alan Burrill <alanb@dpy01.co.uk> wrote:
>
>     Spade connectors of that size are rated to 10 amp and 300v according
to the R/S-Components specification sheet.

>     Alan
>
>     Sent from my iPad
>

>         > > On 18 Dec 2022, at 21:53, Bob Harrison <ptag.dev@talktalk.net
> wrote:
> >

> >     >
>         > >
> >         Hi! William /All.
> >
> >         When I had G-PTAG Three times on inspection I found that the co
ntinuation connectors from the alternator standard Rotax wires where I had
a rubberlite connection assembly taking the electrical power into the panel
/regulator I discovered the lot all heat welded together.

> >         I found that the spade connectors did not have sufficient conta
ct area and were arcing generating heat from sparking . I didn't find a sol
ution to the problem which was initiated by Rotax using spade connectors on
 the power delivery spades which only have knife edge contact area . Some f
orm of screw clamp connectors would generate less heat from arcing , which
in turn would remove radio interference and potential for fire.

> >         regards
> >

> >         Bob Harrison   .......Ex G-PTAG.
> >
> >         .
> >
> >             > > > On 18 December 2022 at 13:50 William Daniell <wdaniel
l.longport@gmail.com> wrote:

> > >             Radio Noise
> > >

> > >             If you are getting radio noise that seems to be alternato
r-related, you can use your multimeter to do a quick check of the alternato
r output voltage. Set your meter to AC voltage and measure from the main bu
s to ground while the engine is running. If you see more than one volt in t
he AC scale, suspect a blown diode inside the alternator or possibly bad br
ushes. Remember, the alternator is only supposed to output DC voltage. This
 isn=99t a perfect test, but it is quick and easy. A ripple meter is
an even better way to check stator and diode condition, but most amateur bu
ilders will not have one in their toolbox.

niell.longport@gmail.com mailto:wdaniell.longport@gmail.com > wrote:
> [...]
g a bit of AC and getting hot.  To be fair =9Cnewish=9D means 3
 years old.  The BandC includes and OVP unit.   I am assuming that this is
a manufacturing issue since this was one of the first produced.
AND expensive avionics?
hich I stupidly trashed when I got my new BandC so I cant simply put it bac
k in.
rotax regulator and fly without OVP pending the arrival of my new (and hope
fully improved) BandC or just be patient.?   (My name is Will and
Im a flying addict)

//www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
com