Europa-List: Re: The Obsidian File - Mono Undercarriage

Subject: Europa-List: Re: The Obsidian File - Mono Undercarriage
From: Dave Disney <davedisney@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2022 02:51:43

This is an interesting subject.
The question is asked what the bungee actually does. I replaced my bungee a
couple
of years ago and did some retractions without it (aircraft jacked in the hangar
so no aerodynamic assistance). It was bloody hard work to retract without
the bungee. When I installed the new bungee it had 1 extra loop and was
tensioned
a lot more than the one I removed. The gear is now really easy to operate
both in the air and in the hangar!

I'm not quite sure I agree with your overcentre analysis. I am one of the few
who
have done a wheel up landing (not because I forgot, but don't ask how it
happened).
After the landing the gear was really easy to lower despite the fact
that it had gone right up into the tunnel with the wheel contacting the throttle
lever and the brake caliper severing a rudder cable. With the wheel going this
far up, wouldn't your overcentre case be realised?

On another topic, I really like your 3D modelling. I have produced a Solidworks
3D model for the fuselage frame by taking measurements and reverse engineering
it. I'm doing this for a new conventional gear design I'm working on. I would
love to compare my model with yours, what software are you using for your
modelling
and how are you going about it?

Read this topic online here: