Europa-List: Re: What did you do with your Europa this week - 18/11/22

Subject: Europa-List: Re: What did you do with your Europa this week - 18/11/22
From: rparigoris <rparigor@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2022 19:37:54

Hi Area 51
What is your FART smelling for? Carbon Monoxide? Or is it a Oxygen sensor?

For Rotax 914, especially if you have modified the intake 914 (ie intercooler)
they recommend that you don't run lean when you dial up War emergency power
(115%).
They want you to do this by using a Carbon Monoxide tester and checking
each cylinder at a time through the EGT port. They want a minimum amount of
Carbon
Monoxide. So idea is to find leanest cylinder and make sure you are making
enough Carbon monoxide. The older style 914 airboxes were more critical to the
adjustment of the higher than airbox pressure air used to enrichen by plumbing
to float bowls. You adjust so leanest cylinder is rich enough. Sorry, but
haven't messed with it on rotax yet. Triumph motorcycles adjust carbon monoxide
using that tester before they leave factory.
i installed a oxygen bung and sensor on my 914. I have a fuel air ratio display
to let me know how I am doing. I installed a mixture control to allow leaning.
I'm leaking carb float bowl pressure via needle valve to cross balance tube.
Will verify things with Carbon Monoxide tester and figure leanest cylinder under
various throttle settings. I'm slight rich on main jets, jet needle clips.
My philosophy is to throw a little more fuel on the fire to keep things cool
when generating BTUs. Now, the 94 tends to have a few cylinders run rich at taxi
speeds, I plan on running really lean. Above 50% power, will know leanest
cylinder
at various power settings and lean accordingly. On 914 there is an enriching
solenoid that plumbs float bowls to  airbox, or higher than airbox pressure.
I installed a switch that will activate the solenoid by pilot. I used a
schottky diode to isolate power from being backfed into the TCU. Idea is if
anything
went wrong with lean plumbing, "rich switch" takes it out of circuit.
I too am a long time tuning guy, very satisfying to get things running the way
you want them.
Ron P.

Read this topic online here: