RE: Europa-List: size of aircraft data plate

Subject: RE: Europa-List: size of aircraft data plate
From: Paul Mansfield <europaul383@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2022 16:37:38

Hello Rowland,

The ANO 2016 (https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2016/765/contents/made)
Schedule 4 Part 2
(https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2016/765/schedule/4/part/2/made) has
exactly the same text as CAP 523 ("The nationality and registration marks must
also be inscribed on a fire-proof metal plate affixed in a prominent
position...") except the CAP quotes ANO 2000 ... only 16 years out of date
[rolls eyes].

The only other reference I found is in LAA TL 2.11
(http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/engineering/technical_leaflets.html)
which states (page 2) "Another vital and indeed legally required item is a
fireproof metal plate (usually stainless steel) engraved or stamped with the
aircraft nationality and registration marks, e.g. G-ALAA. The Air Navigation
Order (ANO) states that this plate is to be "affixed in a prominent position on
the fuselage". We interpret this to mean it could be positioned inside or
outside the aircraft, preferably in or near the cockpit, as long as it is
easily found when looked for. The ANO used to require also the name and address
of the registered owner to be included on the plate. A change in the ANO has
dispensed with that requirement, which now means that the plate does not need
changing with every change of ownership. Suitable plates are available from the
LAA, see paragraph 4 of this Technical Leaflet."

Which is a long and convoluted way of saying your guess is as good as ours
(although
why the description of what is *not* required?!)

NB The LAA-supplied plates (if still available) contain more info than is
required
- no name and address required - so I made mine out of 2 or 3mm SS ~40 x 100mm
(1.5" x 4" if you're reading in black and white) and affixed (rivetted) it
to the baggage bay rear bulkhead, TDC just above the D panel.

HTH,

Paul M
G-PLPM
XS Mono 912ULS