Europa-List: Exhaust header tube repair PHOTO

Subject: Europa-List: Exhaust header tube repair PHOTO
From: JonathanMilbank <jdmilbank@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2022 09:44:21

This follows on from my previous topic involving my CKT exhaust system. After
more
than 200 hours the #3 header tube cracked completely through, immediately
above where the spring attachment loops are welded on. I ordered a replacement
---From CKT, which was different in that it had a welded "spigot" end for
inserting
into the exhaust port. This improved design last around 50 hours, or maybe
a little longer, before cracking again in the same location. All the other tubes
and the silencer box are thus far intact.

So I got the original item expertly TIG welded and ensured that it fitted snugly
without strain into the head and silencer, before securing it with its clamp
and the two springs, which you can see are safety wired, then wired around their
"waists" to pull then somewhat towards the exhaust, then given a lick of high
temperature silicone. But I have no confidence that the crack won't reoccur,
so I have done some reinforcing with a strip of 2mm thick mild steel which
you can see is secured with jubilee clamps.

The second jubilee clamp down, is notched to accommodate the tops of the welded
loops and can be periodically loosened to slide upwards, in order to see the
weld hidden under the jubilee. Somehow I feel and hope that this particular
crack
won't reappear.

Read this topic online here:

Attachments: