Re: Europa-List: Take off

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Take off
From: davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2022 13:23:29
The technique I have evolved over 1500 hrs is a version of Bud's
approach (that is to keep the tail wheel on the ground until the plane
just lifts off) but possibly simpler to apply and I believe it makes
take offs pretty much non events. Firstly I trim fairly markedly down -
on mine that leaves just the bottom two light bars showing on the trim
indicator (- this being especially good for your life's prospects should
you experience an EFATO). Then maintain a constant moderate back
pressure on the stick as you accelerate. The stick force trying to take
the stick forwards increases markedly as speed increases and I simply
let the stick move forwards maintaining that same back pressure. It
takes a few take offs to settle on the right amount of back pressure,
but it is the amount you need to counter the downward trim and be flying
level as the plane lifts off. Too much back pressure and the plane
balloons up and vice versa. It very soon becomes second nature, and
leaves you little to do on take off other than maintain a straight line.

Regards, David Joyce, GXSDJ