Re: Europa-List: POH/Operations Manual for Grove conventional gear XS

Subject: Re: Europa-List: POH/Operations Manual for Grove conventional gear XS
From: D McFadyean <amimcfadyean@talktalk.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2022 10:39:54
Europa

<<....Im hoping that some kind owner/builder with a conventional wheel aircraft
wouldn't mind sharing their Manual with me...>>
There's not much to share; it's mainly as for the mono, plus bits of the tri.
So: Takeoff with 15-18 deg flap. Initial part of the TO run with stick held back
to pin the tailwheel to the ground. Then raise tail to increase tail surface
effectiveness and to reduce TO distance, but balanced with unloading the mains
if ground is draggy (soft, wet, long grass, etc). Sometimes full flap for the
initial part of the TO can assist in unloading the mains on exceptionally soft
ground. On long firm surfaces, flapless take off will expedite overall
departure.

Land three-point with full flap. Depending where your axle line is in comparison
to CVG, wheeler landings are usually not possible, but useful to be able to
do if the brakes need to be applied early.
Everything else is easier than mono or tri, and the fuselage doesn't fall over
when the wings are taken out!

Duncan McF
> On 08 August 2022 at 04:16 tonyvaccarella <tony@weimagine.com.au> wrote:
>

> Im nearing the completion of my conventional gear XS Europa S/N A011. Im
> trying
to make an Operational Manual for this aircraft. Im utilising the POH documents
provided by The Europa Club - they offer three variants - Mono, Trigear,
and Glider wings.

> Europa has advised me that it's best I base my Manual on the Mono document -
however, Im having trouble determining the correct take-off and landing
procedure
for this airframe - due to the flaps being independent of the fixed landing
gear.