Re: Europa-List: Re: Bowed doors

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Bowed doors
From: William Daniell <wdaniell.longport@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 12:26:11
Bud (a belated) thanks
My doors fit just fine and close with a slight squeeze of door and sill.
I think the seal is partially the culprit...when I remove the seal the
bowing is less.
But even without the seal the doors bow slightly.
Is it possible to flatten them out a bit...clamping and heating or
something like that?
It's not a huge thing....but you know what it's like.      You fix things
because you can.

On another note I would be grateful for trigear/front gear streamlining
pics.   I have just done the transition between main gear wheel pant and
gear leg and see a couple of knots improvement.

thanks
Will

On Mon, May 9, 2022, 22:12 budyerly@msn.com <budyerly@msn.com> wrote:

> Will,
> Two things:
> I don't blame the door seal.  It mainly is the fit of the door/shoot
> bolts.  See Tech Tip from long ago.  Should be on my website also.  If you
> don't see them I can resend.
>
> I actually have a thicker door seal (5/8") on 12AY.  But the bulb is a
> thinner material and slightly softer.  The door is designed so that when
> properly fitted it has a 12mm to 1/2 inch gap between the cockpit flashing
> and the door.  That is plenty.  A door that is poorly fitting enough that
> one must pull, attach cables to, or knobs and still fails to seat, needs a
> tune-up to correct the fit.  As Chris said, I have written on this issue.
> See my website on hinging and also on refitting a door (handy if you loose
> one).  I wrote these up as instructions to clients unable to come to the
> shop and have me do their installation.  Their doors are just fine.
> Especially with them taking time to adjust the clamshell properly.
>
> I chose the thicker bulb seal for the gap that forms at high speed cruise
> as the doors flex a bit by the low pressure area on top and sides.
> Annoying, but in Florida, not an extreme issue.  However, by adding the
> slightly larger bulb, it cured my drafty issue when cruising above 10,000
> in my shorts and T shirt.
>
> About the doors:
> Doors should close and latch with one finger from the outside or inside.
> In cold weather like in the UK and Canada, the seals do get hard and
> frankly, a bit of push down with bulky clothes on is tough to do.  A small
> knob on the back of the door is assurance that you have the door in the
> rebate ready for the latch to fall.  But again, push the handle down
> vertically rather than yanking it inboard (as most do).  The lip of the
> door may hang up on the exterior or if you didn't round your shoot bolt
> guides nicely, the two shoot bolt guides may hit one another and prevent
> proper seating.  I've never really pushed the community on properly
> rounding the shoot bolt guides to help align the door.  The guides are
> tapered but a small lip can be quite a hangup.  I"ve always sloped my guide
> protrusions for a nice slip fit.  I also use a 1/32" 960-8L washer between
> my shoot bolt guides while they are curing in place to give me a little
> play and a better "slip fit".  I also do an alterna!
>  te mod 66 for my door struts.  Using the LSTechnologies struts I
> suggested is quite handy as the door stays open but once past 3/4 down, the
> strut does not hold the door open.  It is all about geometry.
>
> No one likes to do a door refit, but it is worth the time.  Most
> installers do not understand how a clamshell door fits (even fewer of the
> secondhand owners do) nor do most builders understand the geometry of the
> curved clamshell and consequently fail to properly adjust the door guides,
> and glass installation to allow the door to fit the door gap perfectly.

> [...]
+1 786 878 0246