Europa-List: Re: Ground loops

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Ground loops
From: Raimo Toivio <raimo.toivio@rwm.fi>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 22:37:51
Good evening * Dear John!

* its here 2220

You too!

Few comments below between your lines in Italics Finnish blue.

I took a freedom to share this also - I truly wish its ok to you.

Someone may be interested.

There is also some message about the situation here.

- Raimo

allekirjoitus
John Wigney kirjoitti 21.4.2022 klo 19:53:

> Hi Raimo,
>
> How nice to hear from you. I am so sorry to hear of your tailwheel
> groundloop mishap and do hope that it was not in your fine AN-2. It is
> no fun to have a gasoline bath.

/Happily it was not! If it had been, there is lot more fuel on one wing,
600 liters, thats more than a bath, it a superb fuel jaquzzi, which
could turn a real Hot Tub. Now I got only say 30 liters of bath fuel.
However, the wings of the AN-2 are well behind the cockpit, so when
ground looping AN-2, its not your _main worry_, to became wet by 100LL.
It was my 3rd beloved ac, a Lamco Cub (ex SE-VAY, then re-registered it
OH-U*666*). It must be damnable. Before I bought it, an earlier owner
made The Grand Total in Barkarby, in Sweden. New build. When our ac, my
wife totaled it in Sweden, Tllberg [Tallberg]. It was a forced landing
w/o her failure. Exellent. By the book. New build again. I totaled it.
New build. Again. I borrowed it to my friend. He totaled it. Imbossible
to make it flyable any more (ok - there is a type sign still and few
instruments left). Typical action: he flew from VMC to IMC by purpose.
Then followed a real UCFIT (un-controlled flight into terrain). His
target was so close. He thought he can manage it. He could not. But he
was 101% lucky. He walked away. Crashed to the forest.
/

/Im sad to report, my good friend Juha Silvennoinen crashed an
Experimental in EHJY. Last Sunday. He was a trustee of The Finnish
Aviation Union, SIL, and lot more. He got killed. It was a Monerai 1990.
Very well built. A very careful pilot. It was during the downwind, when
landing. I guess (my guess only!) it was a typical fuel problem. They,
The Finnish AIB, are investigating it and will find the reason. So sad./

> I have been flying my XS tailwheel since 2001 and have 1,100 hours on
> it. So far, I have lived a sheltered life and have not ground looped
> it yet. However, as you must know, I have learned that it will head
> for the weeds at the slightest excuse. So you have to be on your toes.
> Over the years, I have given 2 other Europa builders some stick time
> and landings in the plane before their first flights but I do not make
> a habit of that and I never let regular passengers do any landings.

/So you fly about like me, 50 to 100 hrs /year. Lets go to the same
shelter or a tent to have obviously parties with few participants "so
far no Europa Monowheel ground loops"./

/Weeds are always among us. I got the exellent toe-lessons by Mr Jyrki
Laukkanen, who complete my Europas first five hours with me 2007, gave
me same time a tail-wheel-endorcement AND a mono-wheel-endorcement. He
had never seen an Europa before. He is the oldest known person, who has
succesfully flown F-18, a test pilot in the Finnish Airforce since
sixties, MIG experienced pilot etc etc because of the birth gift, he has
also a diploma in aviation engineering and he has flown a P-51 single
seater. Respect. My Europas first flight was completed by Mr Dirk van
Oyen from Belgium, he has an Europa Mono OO-145 and many of you met him
in Sunn Fun now 2022. He is my goog friend, and a kind of a father of
my Europa, he inspected it and gave me support with many ways when
building (BTW if you happen to need any consultation about composites or
Airmaster, just ask him!). /

/I havent let any persons to do any landings after Dirk (1) and Jyrki
(1). No one is allowed to do it ever never. No one will ever borrow my
Europa (ok - if Mr Ivan Shaw will ask that, I would seriously consider,
but I will be then omboard). Flying in the altitudes is not a problem
usually for a non-pilot. Even the autopilot do it quite well. When
coming back years ago from EHTX, my 12-year old daughter flew it to
EFTP. That was because the weather was so bad over the Baltic Sea, and
she is a natural IMC pilot by hand (she learnt to fly at the age of 4-5
by Cessna, and could not see out - so she learned the instruments). It
was too annoying to mee - I read a book instead.//
/

> I also have a C/S prop but it is a hydraulic 2 blade Whirlwind and is
> 66" in diameter. I bought it on the strength of Kim Prout saying it
> was the single greatest improvement in speed on his plane It works
> very well but I regret I have had more than one incident requiring
> replacement blades - (i) a hard landing and (ii) a gear up ! event.
> Unfortunately Whirlwind will not make a 64" prop.

Oh I miss Kim. Can you believe I thought him few days ago! I thought to
contact him. He was here several, too many years ago. Everybody loved
him. He is so fun. He wanted to teach me some Europa aerobatics, but I
happen to have then so bad hangover, when flying from EFJM to EFTP, that
I had to refuce. Just flying straight and level. How is he today? What
about his Europa N111EU? He had some busines with Chinese Aviation
industries then, while extinguishes forest fires in California /LA. He
is a great man. I cannot resist to attach a pic from EFJM Jamijarvi Finland.

We are here in a Finnish remote area karaoke bar, and Kim is singing
Finnish songs, with tryly exellent Finnish (it is hard sometimes even
for us).

kim

Here is my Europa OH-XRT and Kims Europa N111EU in Jamijarvi Finland
during the EAN Finland. They liked each others a lot. It was ten years
ago. Kim is between the obviously EU-fighters.

europas

> Photo below shows my bird. The crest on the tail is the Bristol
> University Air Squadron where I learned to fly in Chipmunks when I was
> a student. They actually paid me ! I soloed in 1957 and the last entry
> in that logbook was in 1960 with 100 hours. I did not fly again until
> 1997 when I retired. I will be 85 in August and I cannot complain. I
> had planned to go to the Sun N Fun airshow as usual this year but the
> weather was poor. I definitely will be flying up to Oshkosh at the end
> of July for the big airshow.

/I respect you so much that I have not words enough to state it. My
humble and maybe ridiculous wish is to fly also my Europa at the age of
85. Who will be the The First Europa 100-years Pilot in the Universe?/

/I have BTW noticed, people who not so much complain, are happy and live
also longer. You are the living proof of that. I assume also, to be a
pilot, will enhance your ability to live for ever.
/

/Your Europa is soooo beautiful, and I do like a lot that crest of The
BUAS. A Chipmunk is a classic daisy./

/My new web sites are coming soon. If you like so, take a hint from this
address:/

/*http://u1309792.sandbox.fonectakotisivu.fi/aviation*/

/You will see several pics of my Europa, AN-2 and other aircrafts I have
had during the years.
**/

/I will also release a new Europa Youtube video soon./
//

> By the way, I never heard the word "groundloop" in all the time when I
> was flying Chipmunks. As you know students will find a way if it is
> possible but apparently it never happened with the Chipmunk.
>
> Smooth landings /*join NATO !*

/About NATO! This is a bit politics, but dear readers, just accept. If
you do not like - do not read. This is a serious exception period.
/

/1) Good bless USA!/

/2) We will join Nato asap, I quarentee that.
/

/3) Sweden will follow us quickly, they will cancel their 200 years
"impartiality" right now, after Finland, I quarantee that.
/

/4) When sending an application for membership, there is a  -year time
delay because of NATO bureacrats in every Nato country. For example
Hungary could be a risk because of...
/

/5) Russians will do some attacks to Finland during this grey time - but
we are ready AND Finland has the strongest army in whole Europa (sorry,
its the fact) - so thats a minor problem./

/6) Personally I am a bit worried about my Europas hangar (sorry,
someone defined its only a tent), because it is next to the Finnish
Airforce Base - some missiles there could be possible./

/7) Our President Mr Sauli "Sale" Niinisto met quickly few weeks ago The
President of The U.S Mr Biden - Im pretty sure Biden promised to
protect Finland during the grey time before Nato/

/- *John, please support Mr. Biden in this matter - an Europa Monowheel
Pilot w/o g-loops is easily capable to do that!*/

/Cheers, Raimo/

> Cheers, John
> Mono XS, 912S, N262WF. Mooresville, North Carolina
>

> Digest: 6 Msgs - 04/18/22 From: Raimo Toivio //<raimo.toivio@rwm.fi>//llo all
types of groundloopers! There are also known few