Europa-List: Re: What did you do with your Europa this week 2/21 - 2/28

Subject: Europa-List: Re: What did you do with your Europa this week 2/21 - 2/28
From: Erich Trombley <erichdtrombley@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2022 08:08:37
=EF=BBHello all,

At times it seems like it=99s one step forward and two steps back.  So
 it went for me this past week.  I thought I was finished with my panel upgr
ade and took the plane up for a test flight.  Keep in mind all the component
s were working prior to the final install in the panel.

I enter the flight plan in the 175 and it comes across to the Dynon, great.
 I take off and note that the magenta line isn=99t being displayed on m
y moving map, nor is the HSI working properly. I am also getting an error on
 the G5 for loss of ARINC429.  I get back down and check the setting they se
em good. What=99s going on? It was all working fine before the final i
nstall.  I check the Dynon diagnostics and see ARINC labels coming across, y
et no HSI, odd.  I email Dynon, they scratch their head and can=99t fi
gure it out, settings look good.  Maybe the Dynon doesn=99t like to pl
ay with the G5, and they suggest disconnecting it from the system, even thou
gh I told them it was working previously.

Frustrated, I head out to the plane and remove the center panel to gain acce
ss to the G5 and GAD29 which required that I remove the com radio and GPS.  I
 go to reinstall the GPS in its tray and something doesn=99t feel righ
t.  I pull it back out and peer inside the tray and that do I find, a bent p
in in the tray connector.  Ugh.  I confirm the bent pin is for ARINC out.  T
hat makes sense.

Optimistic as ever I think I can straighten the pin while in the tray.  Who w
as I kidding.  I had to remove the trays and wiring harness from the plane.
 What a PITA it was.  I replaced the pin which was no small feat.  Then I re
connected the harness and did a quick functional check without the trays and
 everything worked.  I then move on to reinstalling everything into the pane
l.   As I was installing the trays I found myself pushing against the pins i
n the connector.  Fortunately, I realized what I was doing and stopped befor
e bending any more pins.  Mystery solved.  Those HD pins are tiny and very, v
ery fragile.

Here's a picture of the panel upgrade which is complete for the most part.

Erich
N28ET Classic Mono 914