RE: Europa-List: Re: Wingtip Lights

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: Wingtip Lights
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 00:15:12

I've done just that with Creighton Smith on his 96EG (Classic) rebuild.  The
plane
was to be repainted but obviously we didn't want to screw up the finish and
make more work.

I used a 1/2 inch chrome moly tube with a sawtooth cut (like a hole saw) in one
end then sharpened it to make my drill.
I drilled forward of the spar in line with where the lightening hole would be
just
forward of the spar (leading edge side).  In the Classic manual you can see
where the lightening hole is in the foam.  Often you can clearly see the spar
location and if you look closely, the hotwire line in the wing is also visible
(which is the center of the lightening hole).  The port wing was perfect but
we got off a bit in the starboard wing as we hit the bottom of the skin just
as we got to the end of the spar.  We were lucky.

Drilling:
I was responsible for the spanwise alignment of the drill (I snapped a line on
the wing) and Creighton was responsible for the elevation of the drill.  We
drilled
through the solid foam of the walkway root area nervously.  Then when we
hit the lightening hole, I pulled the saw (tube) and used my borescope (Amazon
15 footer that displays Bluetooth to my cell phone) and a bit of feel to align
with the bulkhead in the outrigger area and drilled center in that.   The tip
area was easy as the original builder left off any reinforcements so all I
had to do was angle the hole back slightly to get a hook on the wire.

I'm hazy on how we ran the wire through the hole, I think I used my fish tape
and
attached the wire or a string with a loop and inserted it through the drill
tube and pushed the fish tape through to the tip.
Once we hooked the string or wire through the tip hole, we pulled it through the
tip, we made a tip support out of ply and mounted the Aveo light.

On 12AY (Classic Kit A054)  I planned a 3/4 inch black butyl tube through my
wing.
It was a lot easier.

Best Regards,
Bud Yerly