RE: Europa-List: Question about cruise altitudes with a 912ULS

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Question about cruise altitudes with a 912ULS
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 17:35:43

Chris,
The Bing carbs in my tests are pretty good up to about 3500 feet.  Above that
they
start running rich.
A normally aspirated engine should provide at full throttle 75% power.  However,
the Bing carb runs even richer that high, so the power is lost (overly rich)
and with the higher fuel flows flying higher does not give greater efficiency.
I normally have clients with a constant speed prop so full throttle (actually
just a bit less seems to improve MP and leaning) at 5000 RPM can use a bit
more leaning so leaning add on devices are available.  If cruising at 7500, try
running it up to 5500 for a bit to clear the plugs before decent.   Once you
pull back for decent, the engine will load up again, so I go back to 5500 to
clear the plugs.

Creighton Smith (96EG) on his 80 horse and some of my Mid West Clients have
added
a leaning device called the HacMan by Green Sky Adventures (GSA TECH LLC 326
Melrose Landing BLVD, Hawthorne, FL 32640).  It works, as it robs the carb of
float bowl pressure and leans the engine using manifold pressure (MP).  My
Kitfox
and Jabiru guys use it for flying in the mountains to get peak power for
takeoff and cruise.  Of course, you must have an EGT gauge and since you are
worried about plugs and running without fouling a fuel flow meter would be nice.
Most of the time, plumbing is done from the cross over tube to the HacMan
as a vacuum source.  If you have a MP gauge, I really didn't see much of a
difference
in the MP readings, so we just tee it there.

Creighton Smith made comments on it in an older thread.  It works but the hoses
supplied are crap and the leaning knob is very sensitive and must be turned in
1/4 increments, then await the results, as it takes time for the pressures to
normalize, then adjust again.  There are videos online by guys using this.
Also PUT THE HACMAN BACK TO FULL RICH IF YOU CHANGE THROTTLE SETTINGS as MP
changes
and the carb may lean out far too lean and kill the engine.  Normally, the
Hacman is only used after level off but out west some need it for takeoff power.
Some of the videos are done at low altitude, it is better to do this once
higher and at cruise.  With a fixed pitch your RPM should rise, the EGT rise,
and the Cyl Temp may rise in the Rotax.  Readjust the throttle for cruise RPM
then adjust mixture again.  This has been used successfully by many but do
install proper instrumentation.  Also, this is not an authorized accessory by
Rotax.

Best Regards,
Bud Yerly