Re: Europa-List: XS Tail wheel assembly

Subject: Re: Europa-List: XS Tail wheel assembly
From: fklein@orcasonline.com <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2021 10:13:00
Davidyou wrote:

"Sorry to disagree with Fred but I feel strongly you do not want to
limit tailwheel travel to 30 degrees. I too have the Singleton mod and
as you can see it allows the tail wheel to turn around 80 degrees in
either direction.=9D

Of course I defer to your judgement and experience on all matters
EuropaI believe I had written to limit tailwheel travel to 30
deg. in either direction, and I had just eyeballed the 30 deg. from my
build photoit may well be closer to 40 deg. in either direction
which would yield the 80 deg. you mention which appears to be what your
photo indicates.

As I recall, Graham=99s instructions called for dressing the
limiting block so that it mates with the tail spring when tailwheel
rotates to its max. Some additional dressing of my install may be called
for.

Thanks for your comment,

Fred

> On Jun 8, 2021, at 8:25 AM, davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk wrote:
>
> Phil, Sorry to disagree with Fred but I feel strongly you do not want
to limit tailwheel travel to 30 degrees. I too have the Singleton mod
and as you can see it allows the tail wheel to turn around 80 degrees in
either direction. This is a great help in manoeuvring either whilst
taxying or pulling the plane around in the hangar. Experienced mono
pilots can almost pivot on the main wheel with a judicious use of
throttle and brake.(Emphasis on judicious - overdo it and you go A over
T and break the prop). I have no figures for it but I would be very
surprised if you need as much as 20 degree tail wheel turn in the
process of landing or T/O, where the emphasis should be on sticking
meticulously to a straight line, correcting any deviation sooner rather
than later. I understand the function of the stop is to prevent the
wheel twisting beyond 90 degrees when the rudder cables would be crossed
and rudder action would make things worse rather than going back to
neutral position.