Re: Europa-List: XS Tail wheel assembly

Subject: Re: Europa-List: XS Tail wheel assembly
From: Fred Klein <freddythek10@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2021 22:19:15
PhilWhile I recognize you as a highly experienced Europa
builder, I pass along two modifications to the stock Europa tailwheel
which have been recommended to me by others.

First, add a stop to prevent the tailwheel from rotating more than
approximately 30 deg in either direction...shown below is a half inch
thick aluminum stopmine came to me as part of the Singleton
tail wheel mod.

Second, I cut off the ears of the stock fitting and made up a bracket
---From 1/8=9D 4130 plate configured to a design suggested to me by
William Mills, RIP, which has two beneficial attributes: there are 3
sets of holes which allow for adjusting the sensitivity of rudder pedal
inputs(the outermost set of holes for the novice and allowing
for less sensitivity, and by using the innermost sets of holes the
result is less sensitivity and decreased turning radius) and
the sets of holes are further forward than the holes in the stock
=9Cears=9D so that string lines dropping thru the holes are
perfectly aligned with the vertical tail wheel pivot rod which decreases
the strain on the entire assembly.

PS: Ignore the bronze split-bolts shown in lieu of the second set of
nicopress sleeves.

> On Jun 7, 2021, at 2:27 AM, flyingphil2 <philipjtiller@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I'm looking for all the parts to make a complete XS tailwheel
assembly.
> I ideally want new, unused parts - does anyone have any bits lying
around that they'd like to sell?