Re: Europa-List: Undercarriage

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Undercarriage
From: Justin Kennedy <justin@systemwise.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 10:49:31
Hi Roddy,
While our complicated retraction mechanism has stood the test of time the b
ungie has reduced in its efficiency over time and while still easy to opera
te it can be heavy when there is any additional G force. I now leave the U/
C retraction until further up the climb. Then a deft forward move on the st
ick will produce a slightly reduced G and the U/C comes up really easily. I
t takes a few goes to get this trick off without lurching forward but done
right it makes light work of the retraction and is hardly noticeable to the
 spectator. I can=92t see why this would not work on the conventional arran
gement. If one tightened the bungie so the lowering would require more forc
e than the retraction then the skill would be to add a little G when loweri
ng the U/C. Next time I have the firewall plates off I will tighten the bun
gie like this though getting it exactly right may prove difficult. This mak
e sense because as I approach the overhead I am climbing slightly to bleed
off the speed. A timely lowering of the U/C as the speed reached U/C operat
ing speed would use the additional G to assist the lowering.
Yet another skill to set us mono pilots apart.
Just my halfpenny=92s worth.
Cheers
Justin
G-ZTED Mono Classic, 912S, Airmaster Prop, Warp drive blades.
Kit No:15