Re: Europa-List: Re : IFR certification

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re : IFR certification
From: Kevin Challis <cakeykev@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2020 19:12:59
I did my imc training in my trigear

No problems at all.

I know some aircraft are more stable but to say it=99s not a good IFR a
ircraft is not what I have found.

Kevin Challis
G ODJG

> On 16 Jun 2020, at 18:06, Pete <peterz@zutrasoft.com> wrote:
>
> =EF=BB
> Great write-up Paul, thx!
>
> Question, why not leave the gear up till minimums to keep the speed up?
>
>>> On Jun 16, 2020, at 12:46 PM, Paul McAllister <paul.the.aviator@gmail.co
m> wrote:

>> =EF=BB
>> Hi John,
>>
>> I hope you don't mind me offering a counter opinion. I didn't find my Eur
opa a very good IFR platform.  It was okay but I always maintained high pers
onal minimum, 600' on the ILS and 800' for non precision approaches.  I live
 in the mid west of the US and icing was always a concern. While one should n
ever fly into know icing conditions I had inadvertently picked up ice  in ot
her aircraft I have flown and although concerning the aircraft performed wel
l enough to land it. Even then I new that all that had happened was "I got a
way with it"

>> I did catch a small skim of ice on the Europa once and the aircraft immed
iately lost 20 knots and I was worried that it would just quit flying there a
nd then!  A flapless landing in a mono isn't possible and I was really (real
ly) nervous lowing the gear.  I know we can all say that we should avoid ici
ng conditions but I encountered unforcasted ice many times.  Over the years I
 got smarter at figuring out potential or possible conditions but I could ne
ver get comfortable.  The other challenge is that its slow approach speed is
n't an advantage for instrument approaches. You feel like you are hanging ou
t on the ILS forever in wet moist clouds.

>> I haven't flown my aircraft for some time but in latter years all my IFR f
lying was in VFR conditions. It is nice to be able to fly away from somewher
e crummy to somewhere nice, and I find the National Aerospace System (NAS) a
 delight to use.

>> Just my 2 cents worth, and as they say "Your mileage may vary"
>>
>> Cheers, Paul
>>

>>> On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 10:24 AM John Wigney <johnwigney@windstream.net>
 wrote:
>>> Hi Jeff,
>>>
>>> There is a good link on this subject at https://www.eaa.org/eaa/aircraft
-building/intro-to-aircraft-building/frequently-asked-questions/equipping-a-
homebuilt-for-ifr-operations

>>> I am not an IFR pilot but I have done 40 plus hours of training in my mo
nowheel. My instructor was very happy with the plane and called it "a good I
FR platform". I chose not to take the check ride as I decided not to fly sin
gle pilot IFR. A major reason for that is that I found the plane to be fairl
y neutral on heading and I was not happy to find myself 10 to 15 degrees off
 course if I groped around in the back for something. I have now fitted a he
ading autopilot driven by my Dynon D10A which works very well following the p
ink line on my Garmin 430 so that addresses that primary concern. I really h
ave no need for IFR and am happy to leave it that way.

>>> Anyway, I am not aware of any certification requirement apart from an en
try in the logbook regarding compliance with  14 CFR Part 91, section 91.205
.

>>> Cheers, John
>>>
>>> <ehkjefpnnmjodmme.png>
>>>
>>> <dikifmecfindfhgo.png>
>>>
>>> From: Jeff B <topglock@cox.net>
>>>
>>> Subject: Europa-List: IFR certification Good morning all, I'm wondering i
f someone out there has any information on certifying the Europa for IFR fli
ght (in the USA). Is there a statement in the operating limitations that mig
ht mention this? I've a person interested in my bird who is asking about it.
 Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You,