Re: Europa-List: Re: aileron balancing

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: aileron balancing
From: davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2017 19:25:23

Rowland, Much sense from Jim as usual, although I am not 100% clear what
he means by colour sanding. I suspect however it is the same process
used for wrt & dry sanding down of gel coat, which suggests a reasonable
alternative to my more drastic suggestion of sanding it all off- that is
put a slurry of very dilute coloured cellulose paint. Sand with wet &
dry (actually wet of course!) 600 grit, until all the coloured paint has
gone, which has got you down to the low spots of the original paint. You
then repeat the process with 1200 grit and finally with 2000 grit. If
you can stoach that you will have a perfect finish and may well find you
have shed half or more of that weight gain. There are a few more
wrinkles to the sanding and I will happily discuss on phone if you want
to go down that path.

Regards, David (GXSDJ)

On 2017-08-30 16:33, h&jeuropa wrote:

> Rowland,
>
> We added an aileron trim motor in the stbd aileron. This made it quite heavy
and we used tungsten carbide from McMaster to achieve balance.

> BTW we tried lead balls embedded in epoxy but we could not get the density of
solid lead. There is a lot of open space between spheres!

> The increase in weight (20%-25%) from filling, profiling and paint seems
> excessive.
Perhaps you can color sand much of it off.

> We color sanded all our painted surfaces. There is good information on the 3M
> website about doing this and we used 3M products. There also is a good book
> available from EAA,
> https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa-shop/media/aviation-books/2256137300000__how-to-paint-your-own-airplane
>  [1] The articles are also in back issues of Sport Aviation, around 2005.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Jim & Heather
>
> Read this topic online here:
>
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=472356#472356 [2]