Europa-List: Europa VNE

Subject: Europa-List: Europa VNE
From: Pete <peterz@zutrasoft.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2017 13:04:44

I am attempting to determine the maximum usable HP that the Europa while rem
aining below the factory published VNE and have a few questions for the fact
ory (if anyone with the history is listening) and existing Europa fliers:

1- The factory published VNE is:  "VNE (IAS)  165kn  191mph 307kmh". Is this
 VNE based on a structural limit, or a flutter limit?

2- If the factory's VNE is determined by a flutter limit, I would have to as
sume that the 191mph is at sea-level density altitude - does anyone know if t
his assumption is valid? This would mean that at 13k ft, it would be reduced
 to ~160mph IAS and even less up heigher (I have attached a very informative
 article regarding VNE and TAS). Does anyone know if the factory ever execut
ed proper flutter testing?

3- What is the max level speed obtained by Europa fliers (likely with a 914)
? I am asking because I hear of 914 fliers cruising at 140ish Knots IAS at 7
5% (86hp?) down low, but am wondering where on the Europa's drag curve this i
s.  Is it near the flattening section of the exponential speed/hp curve (or c
onversely the escalating drag curve), or is there still some room before tha
t "drag-wall" is reached?  What I am attempting to determine is what the spe
ed would be for a Europa mono (with fairings etc.) with a constant speed pro
p, and continuous 110-120 cruise hp?  I do realize that these numbers would b
e very prop dependent etc.

Many thanks for any and all insight/experience,
Cheers and blue skies,
Pete