Re: Europa-List: Re: The Last Flight of The Year 2016

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: The Last Flight of The Year 2016
From: Raimo Toivio <raimo.toivio@rwm.fi>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2017 13:56:32
Hello Richard!

Thanks about that. Im pretty sure you could also easily write exotic
"Operating Europa in Africa" -stories.
People would love them! I have flown once (2000) C152 in the South
Africa, and it was great.
I have been always quite alone ac builder /Europa operator here in
Finland, but I guess it is
nothing if compared to you in Kenya! I bet you have also used to make
your own decisions, and they
are better to be mostly right! How many experimentals you have in your
country? We have few dozen.
Do you work or make business in Russia? Which part of the Russsia? If it
happen to be west from Ural,
its easy to come to visit Finland one day...

About our AN2; years fly quickly - it was 2012 when we purchased it from
one mafia chief from Nieregyhaza Hungary.
It was so big...just about PPL - in papers MTOW 5570 kg.

We flew it during one night and day to Finland. Here over Riga Bay, me
as a co-pilot on my captains right side.
Visibility was quite poor but the waves were clearly visible.

But it was so fun!

Children were mostly sleeping comfortable with the good company of some
fuel barrells
and our radist (we had no radio in the cockpit and were forced to take
the ground radio from the tower).

We flew during 2012-2014 about 40 AN2 hrs and several times over the
East Sea to Sweden, to the Siljan Airpark ESVS.
We called it then "Camp Antonov" (notice the tent)...

It was many times sooo beautiful and relaxing...

How about this?

Here refueling operation in EFTP. It was sometimes easier to do like
this than taxi to the fuel station...

We converted it here at home EFRT to be an AirCamper, a perfect flyable
summerhouse for 4 person family.

Then we flew it once more to Siljan, and since that it has been our
summer house there.
We have lived in our beloved AN2 "Antsu" now over 6 months all together
during our holidays.

And yes, its still operational and we start the engine then and then to
get some fun.
We havent flown it since 2014. Too expensive and far too complicate to
keep it airworthy to fly only few hours.
However, there are some plans to fly it back to Finland, maybe even this
year 2017.

Today our girls are teenagers enough, that they do not feel themselves
any more comfortable in the same intimate
space with us - me and my wife - any more. So, we are mostly two of us
there, and the girls are up in the tower near by.

In tower they have luxury to have for example 8-persons dining table
made by the wing of the Bravo AS202T.
An electrically heated pitot tube is an exellent hotdog heater btw...

Here are some Youtube videos if you like; first is a flight from EFTP to
ESVS (actually 1h50m). There I fly formation
with my friend Samo from Slovenia - he has a nice Cirrus SR22T. A 2nd
film is a demonstration of our AN2.

https://youtu.be/QdrrpHBplW8

https://youtu.be/tqmk-epJzKo

I hope you are not bored about my story!

Cheers,
Raimo
OH-XRT #417
Finland