Re: Europa-List: top cowl carb air inlet

Subject: Re: Europa-List: top cowl carb air inlet
From: Neville Eyre <neveyre@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 16:13:20

Hi Rowland,
Glad to hear you are on with it, smart thing would have been to call or ema
il me directly with your question ?
All pretty straight forward, no need to do any glassing / cutting of the co
wls, I designed and manufactured them so you don't have to ! If it takes yo
u more than a morning to fit them you are doing something wrong !
Air to the carbs is taken from under the cowl, no chance of water ingress v
ia a NACA scoop when parked.. Prefered filters are the conical K&N's direct
 on the carbs, but the Europa airbox set up will work. The airbox / NACA se
t up was needed with the standard XS cowls as it gets hotter than hell in t
here with no through airflow. Air temps inside the upper cowl taken at shut
down after a 2 hour flight were below ambient, nothing above the baffles go
t hot enough to darken the 40 C bar on the temp' test strips.
The baffles will direct cold air all the way to the rear of the cowl, and w
ith the top of the tunnel gap blocked off with a baffle, little heat build
up there after shutdown. Baffles also prevent the exhaust headers cooking t
he fuel in the carbs.
I'm sure you had copies of the baffle templates [ baffles made from soft al
loy] if not I can send you a set. With this installation, you can run on th
e ground at 2,000 rpm all day, and do the 5 minute WOT run for the LaaLaaLa
nd pre 1st flight test without burning the cowls or chucking the coolant ov
erboard  [BTW use 50/50 antifreeze / water, not the ''other stuff'' ]
As you only had the cowls [ not my complete kit] just follow the Europa FWF
 Manual as far as mounting and plumbing the engine, in the same position as
 the XS Europa kit.
Cheers,
Nev