Europa-List: Re : Dynon Servos

Subject: Europa-List: Re : Dynon Servos
From: John Wigney <johnwigney@windstream.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2015 11:02:06
Hi Martin,

I have a Dynon roll servo driven by my D10A EFIS and the autopilot works
well. You are correct that the Dynon servo does have some small residual
torque when it is not energised. I am absolutely not an electrical
expert but I think it may be that the servo has a stepper motor and the
stiction is felt when the rotor moves from one pole tooth to the next.

In any event I have found that although I do notice it on the ground, it
has no effect on the feel or responsiveness when in the air. Of course,
when the autopilot is engaged, the servo drives the controls and any
stick input will be counteracted by the servo which will disconnect with
heavy input. By the way, my system uses the Dynon D10A only. The AP74
auxiliary autopilot panel is a 'nice to have' item but absolutely not
necessary.

Cheers, John