Re: Europa-List: BRS

Subject: Re: Europa-List: BRS
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 20:25:12

<wladimirkummer@gmail.com> wrote:

> Do you know of any Europa with a BRS? I=99m considering
installing one in my MotorGlider. Still have the fuse top not bonded so
I figure would be a not so difficult mod.

> Any ideas?

I suggest a first step would be to contact Boris at BRS and spell out
your desires.

You may be familiar with the methods used to embed the harness in linear
recesses and cover them w/ break-away FG surface skins in the Cirrus. I
suspect those would be challenging to retrofit into the Europa
pre-moulded fuselage; however,  the extent to which that is necessary
would depend upon C of G considerations. As an alternative, potentially,
a hard point of sufficient strength could be established between the two
doors which would minimize the necessary harness, but such calculations
are way above my pay grade.

Though I can only speculate, my hunch is that the weight of the
installation would suck up all of your baggage allowance and a good
portion of weight allocated for fuel.

Consider also the fact that the BRS system is intended to save lives,
not airframes, and few if any of the Cirrus aircraft which have
descended beneath a chute ever fly again.

Finally, consider the extent of the testing necessary for such a system
to be deamed to be effective and reliableare you really
prepared to go there?

F.