RE: Europa-List: Mogas from the garage.

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Mogas from the garage.
From: Brian Davies <brian.davies@clara.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2015 20:08:07

Alan,  Although the revised version of BS EN228 (2012) allows up to 10%
ethanol in fuel the maximum currently being used is 5%. This is technically
described as E5 fuel but I have never seen it described as such in the UK.
Most suppliers use a brand name.   If you buy  either 95 RON or 97 RON (
much preferred for R912ULS) you will be OK.  I have not looked at all pumps
but most have a label on them saying "EN228".. Most suppliers are reluctant
to tell the public how much ethanol is in any particular batch of fuel.  The
AA say that there is no requirement to label fuels using up to 5% ethanol
but it is legal requirement to label E10 (10% ethanol) - when it is
introduced at some time in the future.  So, no label = up to 5% ethanol.

If you are unsure you should carry out the water test as described in TL
2.26 which should give you an estimate of how much ethanol is in the fuel.
Personally I have never got this test to work reliably but...

I hope this helps.  These are the reasons it has taken so long to get Mogas
with ethanol approved for our use.

Regards

Brian Davies