Re: Europa-List: Re: Germany; places accessible from the UK

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Germany; places accessible from the UK
From: davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2015 21:24:36

Graeme, once you have cleared customs in France or any Schengen country,
you can land at any airfield in any other Schengen country without
bothering about customs.

 Belgium is a problem. If you ask them they will tell you that you must
have prior permission to fly in their airspace whether or not you land
there. They will charge you 86 euros for the minute or so they take to
check copies of yoUr standard documents. Many many pilots have flown
along the coast to Holland without any problems, but that is simply
because ATC folk do not see it as any of theirbusiness to check whether
you are flying on a Permit and whether you have applied for and paid for
relevant permission. If on the other hand you had some incident whilst
flying there without permission, then I suspect they would throw the
book at you and it might prove very expensive!

 The question of FPLs within Schengen is also complex. There is , I
believe an EASA regulation saying that Schengen countries may choose to
dispense with the need. At the recent fly out to EBLE, Belgium, we were
assured that Belgium did not require a FPL from France. However ATC at
Le Touquet would not let us take off without one. They said we are often
having this problem with Belgium, and offered to show us the bit in the
Fench AIP where it says no aircraft may fly out of France without a FPL.
So my advice would be to always put in a FPL if you are crossing an
international boundary It saves a lot of hassle! & once you have done a
few it becomes pretty straightforward. Remember you do not need to put a
very precise route in - the bare bones will do.

Getting through class D and C airspace is mostly easy, but you have to
realise that in many countries Class D is as bad as it gets, and whilst
small airfields with a D zone will usually present no great problem, a
really busy (Gatwick equivalent) airfield may also have just class D and
naturally will be a whole lot less keen on letting small GA aircraft get
in their hair!

Regards, David Joyce, GXSDJ

2015-08-04 20:22, graeme bird wrote:

> Thanks, for the responses, they both look interesting and possible, I had
> already
plotted a route down to the Black Forest. I take it that in general its likely
that I can get a routing through class C and D airspace?

> Am I right in assuming if I use Customs in France I don't need a customs
> airport
in Germany?
> Do I still need a flight plan to cross between France and Germany.
>
> Just for reference, will Belgium let me overfly their country without express
permission; they seemed ok about me tracking the coast over land to Holland?

> Regards Graeme
>
> --------
> Graeme Bird
> G-UMPY
> Mono Classic/XS FFW 912S/Woodcomp 3000/3W
> Newby: 180 hours 4 years on the Mono
> g@gdbmk.co.uk
>
> Read this topic online here:
>
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=445580#445580 [1]