Re: Europa-List: Re: undercarriage retraction problem

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: undercarriage retraction problem
From: Rowland Carson <rowlandcarson@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2015 18:38:21

On 6 Jun 2015, at 19:21, JonSmith <jonsmitheuropa@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> Rowland, just a further thought, you haven't set it up so that it's trying to
retract the wheel too far/ too high?  Whereas the undercarriage downlock gate
and set up IS critical I don't think the exact position of the undercarriage
lever UP lock gate is quite so important.  Obviously you want it up as much as
possible and not too low but it can't of course go up too far.  Adjusting the
rear latching face of the upgate rearwards slightly would mean the wheel
wouldn't
lock up quite as far but it might then not foul the items you mentioned.
You would then have to completely re-set up the flap retraction adjustment again
with probably a new flap retraction horn etc.!

Jon - thanks for your message (and thanks too to Alan, Keith, Ron and Alfred for
their helpful contributions to this topic).

I was coming to the same conclusion as you, that the slot for the retract lever
must be slightly too long. Not sure why this should be as my journal (and my
memory!) doesnt seem to indicate that I extended the slot from the as-supplied
state. Anyway, I think that will be the answer to my problem - in effect, dont
try to retract the gear so much!

As you say, once I have restored the suspension block compression to the correct
value and checked for correct over-centring of the mechanism in the down
position,
Ill have to file the up" gate so that the lever latches _before_ any contact
between the U/C and other parts. Then go back to the flap control; first
get a new FL19 from the factory then go through the whole adjustment process
again to find the right position for the hole in FL19.

Once its all done, I wonder would there be any need to provide some sort of stop
to prevent the retract lever moving too far forward? I think Ill worry about
that when I see how much aftwards extension of the up gate is needed.

Thanks again to the Europa community for all your help and encouragement.

in friendship

Rowland