Europa-List: Smell of petrol in the cocpit just after takeoff

Subject: Europa-List: Smell of petrol in the cocpit just after takeoff
From: JohnFrance <77alembert@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 10:38:08

Hi All,
During a flight yesterday I had a fairly strong smell of petrol in the cabin
just
after take off and while in the climb, it lasted about 2 minutes.

I recently removed the drip trays from under the carbs on the advice of several
people. Their view was, it's better to have a few drips catching fire than a
bigger volume that has been heated up.

One of the trays did have a horizontal ring around the inside like a tide mark.
The float chambers of both carbs were cleaned and inspected as well as floats
and
pins for wear. The floats are not part of the various duffer series so I must
admit I didn't weigh them. Perhaps I should have!
Upon reassembly I pressurized the system and was particularly attentive to the
starboard one that had the "tide mark" inside the tray.

I don't have any proof of the origin of the smell but I made the link to a
recent
change that I have carried out.

If anyone has any ideas how I might trace the problem or curative measures I
would
like to know?
Best regards
John