Re: Europa-List: Re: Monowheel undercarriage 'up' stop?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Monowheel undercarriage 'up' stop?
From: GRAHAM SINGLETON <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2015 11:45:28
There's another reason for an up stop, When the wheel is fully UP the gear
mechanism is very close to overcentre and the =0Aweight of the gear may not
 be enough to overcome friction and lower the gear. The retract lever does
not produce any force to=0Alower the gear when fully up. This happened to m
e once; the brake pads gradually wore down bringing the calliper close enou
gh to the side of the tunnel,=0A(Classic Mono) to give enough friction to s
top the gear falling down. I couldn't work out why the lever appeared to be
 locked up, (it wasn't)=0Abut a lucky bit of extra G was enough to solve th
e problem.=0AGraham=0A=0A=0A________________________________=0A From: Clive
 Sutton <clive.maf@googlemail.com>=0ATo: europa-list@matronics.com =0ASent:
 Sunday, 1 February 2015, 10:11=0ASubject: Europa-List: Re: Monowheel under
on" <clive.maf@googlemail.com>=0A=0AAn update for those interested:- =0A
=0AMUDGUARD - two UK a/c have MOD 'schedules' for a fabricated mudguard you
 can source from the LAA, G-RONA (10502) and G-BWZA (10111).- Both were p
re-2001 when the standard for then PFA MOD applications was changed, and as
 a result they are a bit thin on detail, though the G-BWZA paperwork does h
ave a picture of the mudguard off the a/c.- However, I plan to design my
own and use these as the basis for a new 'repeat MOD' application.-  I wi
ll consider John's ideas for a 'spade' type deflector behind the wheel to r
educe the throw-up of muck from the wheel onto the fuselage behind it - tho
ugh a fuselage-mounted fairing incorporating a deflector might be an altern
ative.- A drag-reducing fairing in front of the wheel is another idea I'm
 thinking about.- On the wider drag-reduction front, Andy agreed that the
re is quite some potential to improve it - by reducing gaps or closing over
 holes in the general u/c area - which I'll also look at.=0A=0AUPSTOP - in
a discussion with Andy Draper recently, he agreed that some kind of reinfor
ced bracketry on either side of the tunnel opening (probably in the area wh
ere the front of each seat base meets the tunnel) to prevent swinging arm t
ravel beyond the horizontal, would be a good idea.- Apparently, he experi
enced a wheels-up landing himself, and in that case the tyre contacted the
throttle box moulding - which given its relatively small contact area, i im
agine would rather quickly ruin the central portion of the tyre.- I'm pla
nning to design and install such bracketry, and will post a pic here once r
eady.- It will probably need to feature 'toblerone' type shapes made from
 plywood, suitably glassed in to the structure whilst maintaining at least
a 5mm or so gap between it and the arm leg in the gear-up position.- I'll
 also need to move the brake line that currently runs along the top edge of
 the arm - that would contact this bracketry in the event of
 a wheels-up landing situ!=0Aation.=0A=0AConstructive comments and advice o
n the benefits or tribulations of previous attempts to implement the same o
r similar, always welcome.=0A=0Aregards,=0A=0A=0AClive- G-CILF=0A=0A=0A
=0A=0ARead this topic online here:=0A=0Ahttp://forums.matronics.com/viewtop
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -Matt Dralle, List Admi
=====