Re: Europa-List: Re: DOOR detached during flight

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: DOOR detached during flight
From: Timward <ward.t@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 10:51:03

Doing my DOOR check before Take off I have a viewable red marker line on the
back
of each door that should be flush with the upholstery when closed. If not then
reopen and push down on the back of the door to make sure the back bolt is
secure.
Never had a problem with the original strut although they are getting weaker.

Tim

Tim Ward
12 Waiwetu Street
Fendalton,
Christchurch,  8052
New Zealand.

ward.t@xtra.co.nz

Ph 64 3 3515166
Mob 0210640221

> On 2/07/2014, at 10:25 am, Kevin Challis <cakeykev@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> The test pilot isn't going to say he didn't check the bolts were engaged he is
going to say it was a failure else where.

> I don't have any micro switches etc I just lean back and give both doors a
> good
push at the rear and then the front. If the bolts aren't engaged you can tell
straight away. When converting to the Europa it was drummed into me how
important
this is.

> It's on my check list.
>
> Kevin
>

>> On 1 Jul 2014, at 23:02, Kevin Klinefelter <klinefelter.kevin@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>> Absolutely. The original post regarding loss of door during flight asserted
that the test pilot said the shoot bolts were engaged normally and it must have
been the forward hinge that failed. I am assuming it was an aluminum hinge.

>> I am not suggesting that SS hinges would keep your door on the airplane if
>> the
door ain't closed properly!

>> Kevin
>>

>>> On Jul 1, 2014, at 7:54 AM, "John Wighton" <john@wighton.net> wrote:
>>>

>>> The doors will fail irrespective of hinge material as the fasteners will
>>> pull
through, shear or tear out.

>>> I have not been able to access the photos int he original post - anybody
>>> else
have trouble?

>>> http://forums.matronics.com//files/2014_06_30_171459_125.jpg